Learn more »
Our Brand Story
CMLS Financial is one of Canada's largest independently owned mortgage lenders, with offices across the country. Founded in 1974, we provide a wide range of residential and commercial mortgages, and institutional services.
What differentiates us from other mortgage providers in the industry is our Customer Forward approach. Whether you're a residential homeowner, commercial borrower, institutional investor or funding partner, Customer Forward is our promise to put your needs ahead of our own.
We are proud to be Canada's Mortgage Company. Building on our solid foundation of financial strength and experience, we will continue to deliver unparalleled solutions for all of our customers.
- The original mortgage services company of Penmor Investment Services Ltd. ("Penmor") is established in association with a prominent Canadian investment management firm. The focus of the company is to act as a commercial mortgage intermediary as well as a direct lender for the investment management's fixed-income accounts. The company opens its doors with two employees.
1974 - 1992
- The firm grows, additional funding sources are established, lending products for borrowers expand, and the scope of services to mortgage investors increases.
- Penmor obtains NHA lender status and begins providing CMHC Insured financing for Canadian multi-family landlords.
- B.C. based origination efforts are expanded to include mortgage financing services to Alberta and Ontario.
- Mortgage investment clients expanded to include other investment management companies, insurance companies, private investors, and lender-alliances.
- Company splits into two entities - one being Penmor Mortgage Capital Corporation focusing on commercial originations and the other being Canadian Mortgage Loan Services Limited (CMLS) established to provide a wide range of services to mortgage investors.
- Mortgage assets under administration exceed $1 billion.
- DBRS provides CMLS with primary servicer status with rating of Good.
- Toronto-based office opens.
- Third-party mortgage administration services are established.
- CMHC grants Approved Issuer and Seller status to CMLS. Company now has the ability to issue NHA Mortgage Backed Securities (NHA MBS) and sell MBS certificates to the Canada Housing Trust for inclusion in the Canada Mortgage Bond program (CMB).
- Mortgage Valuation Group is established to provide independent, unbiased mortgage valuation services to the Canadian mortgage investment community.
- Mortgage origination exceeds $1 billion for the year and assets under administration exceed $4 billion.
- Two new offices open - in Calgary and Montreal.
- Canadian Mortgage Loan Services Limited changes its name to CMLS Financial Ltd.
- Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities department is established to originate and administer mortgage investments designated to be securitized through a CMBS program.
- Halifax-based office opens.
- In October, Penmor Mortgage Capital Corporation and CMLS Financial Ltd. join to conduct business under one entity called CMLS Financial Ltd.
- Single family lending initiative is established.
- Commercial mortgage division originates over $2 billion of funded loans, mortgage assets under administration exceed $6 billion, and MVG values mortgage assets exceeding $8 billion.
- DBRS issues Master and Special Servicing status
- Company issues $250m CMBS pool successfully into Canadian market. Only the third CMBS issuance in Canada since 2007
- Ottawa-based office is established and the 100th employee is hired.
- CMLS Financial Ltd. launches its Residential Mortgage Division.
2013$9 Million Financing
Conventional Fixed-Rate Construction and Term Financing
Mixed Use Commercial
2013$66 Million Re-Finance
Initial advance with borrower option for subsequent advance
Conventional - Mixed Retail / Office
- Commercial lending expertise
- Commercial mortgages
- CMBS by CMLS Financial
- Commercial team
- Commercial Mortgage Commentary
- Find an advisor
- Get Started
- Mortgage products
- Mortgage rates
- Contact us
- Home buying basics
- Home buying inspection
- Home financing checklist
- How much can I afford?
- Making an offer
- Mortgage FAQ’s
- Mortgage glossary
- Mortgage payment tips
- Qualifying for a mortgage
- Renewing your mortgage
- Using your home equity
- What are closing costs?
- Residential Newsletter
Mortgage Broker Affiliates
- Become a CMLS Broker affiliate
- Benefits of using a mortgage broker
- Find a CMLS affiliate mortgage broker