Our brand story
Canada’s real estate mortgage experts
CMLS Financial is one of Canada's largest, independently owned mortgage services companies. Founded in 1974, we are proud to be Canada's Mortgage Company™ for over 40 years. With offices across the country, we provide a wide range of commercial lending services, residential real estate mortgages and institutional services.
What differentiates us from other mortgage providers in the industry is our Customer Forward approach. Whether you're a residential homeowner, commercial borrower, institutional investor or funding partner, Customer Forward is our promise to put your needs ahead of our own.
Building on our solid foundation of financial strength and experience, we will continue to deliver mortgage solutions for all of our customers.
Talk to CMLS Financial today.
- Assets under administration exceeds 20 billion
- DBRS Evaluates CMLS Financial Ltd.’s Primary Residential Mortgage Servicing
- CMLS Financial Selected by CMHC for Service Mandate
- Commercial Servicing Group Receives a Primary Servicer Upgrade from Fitch Ratings Inc.
- Acquisition of Delta 360
- Assets under administration reach $15 billion; annual origination exceeds $5 billion.
- Launch of Target Asset Management software for commercial lenders.
- Launch of Aveo, a new alternative residential lending program.
- DBRS Ratings Limited upgrades commercial servicer ratings to Superior.
- "Best Overall Service" in the CMP Brokers on Lenders Survey for second consecutive year.
- CMLS Financial celebrates 40 years as Canada's Mortgage Company.
- CMLS Financial launches Residential Mortgages in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Assets under administration reach $10 billion.
- CMLS Financial successfully completed a $283.7 million CMBS transaction, our fourth since 2012.
- Maintained commercial servicer ratings with DBRS Ratings Limited and Fitch Ratings Inc.
- CMLS Financial opens a Residential Mortgage Division in February. Lends over $1 billion in its first 12 months of operation.
- Voted one of the top five lenders in Canada in the 2013 CMP Magazine Brokers on Lenders Survey.
- CMBS lending program expanded to include 7 and 10-year term loans.
- Arranges two CMBS securitizations totaling approximately $800M; this includes a $400M Starwood Westin Hotel transaction which is the largest CMBS transaction since 2007.
- Receives Fitch Servicer Ratings for Commercial Primary Servicer, Commercial Master Servicer and Commercial Large Loan Special Servicer.
- One of the largest commercial mortgage lenders in Canada with an estimated $2.9 billion in commercial origination volume in 2013 – holds approximately 9% of the Canadian market.
- Assets under administration approach $10 billion.
- In October, Penmor Mortgage Capital Corporation and CMLS Financial Ltd. join to conduct business under one entity called CMLS Financial Ltd.
- Single family lending initiative is established.
- Commercial mortgage division originates over $2 billion of funded loans, mortgage assets under administration exceed $6 billion, and MVG values mortgage assets exceeding $8 billion.
- DBRS issues Master and Special Servicing status
- Company issues $250m CMBS pool successfully into Canadian market. Only the third CMBS issuance in Canada since 2007
- Ottawa-based office is established and the 100th employee is hired.
- Canadian Mortgage Loan Services Limited changes its name to CMLS Financial Ltd.
- Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities department is established to originate and administer mortgage investments designated to be securitized through a CMBS program.
- Halifax-based office opens.
- Two new offices open - in Calgary and Montreal.
- Mortgage Analytics Group is established to provide independent, unbiased mortgage analytics services to the Canadian mortgage investment community.
- Mortgage origination exceeds $1 billion for the year and assets under administration exceed $4 billion.
- CMHC grants Approved Issuer and Seller status to CMLS. Company now has the ability to issue NHA Mortgage Backed Securities (NHA MBS) and sell MBS certificates to the Canada Housing Trust for inclusion in the Canada Mortgage Bond program (CMB).
- Toronto-based office opens.
- Third-party mortgage administration services are established.
- DBRS provides CMLS with primary servicer status with rating of Good.
- Company splits into two entities - one being Penmor Mortgage Capital Corporation focusing on commercial originations and the other being Canadian Mortgage Loan Services Limited (CMLS) established to provide a wide range of services to mortgage investors.
- Mortgage assets under administration exceed $1 billion.
- Mortgage investment clients expanded to include other investment management companies, insurance companies, private investors, and lender-alliances.
- B.C. based origination efforts are expanded to include mortgage financing services to Alberta and Ontario.
- Penmor obtains NHA lender status and begins providing CMHC Insured financing for Canadian multi-family landlords.
1974 - 1992
- The firm grows, additional funding sources are established, lending products for borrowers expand, and the scope of services to mortgage investors increases.
- The original mortgage services company of Penmor Investment Services Ltd. ("Penmor") is established in association with a prominent Canadian investment management firm. The focus of the company is to act as a commercial mortgage intermediary as well as a direct lender for the investment management's fixed-income accounts. The company opens its doors with two employees.
CMLS Financial is a member of the following institutions: